Add KeyGo to your Key Smartcard to get the best fares available on the day of travel for your pay as you go journeys.
Got a Key Smartcard?
Use KeyGo today to add pay as you go to your Key Smartcard when you travel with Southern.
You can travel with KeyGo on Gatwick Express, Great Northern, Southern and Thameslink service as well as Metrobus and Brighton & Hove buses.
Check KeyGo is right for you
- Once you sign up for KeyGo you must touch in and out for every journey you make - even if you have a season ticket so we know how much to charge you
- If you do not touch in or out, this will generate an incomplete journey which we will notify you of by email. If you don't then complete your journey, we will charge a £25 incomplete journey charge
- You should sign up using your primary email address or at least one that you check regularly, it is important that we are able to contact you in relation to your account
- KeyGo cannot be used on TfL or other train company’s services with one small exception. Find out more about this in the Using KeyGo section
- First Class and Railcard discounts do not currently apply to KeyGo
- You must keep your payment card details up to date
How KeyGo works
Once you have KeyGo on your Key Smartcard, all your entry and exit taps across the network will be analysed to calculate the best day fare for your journeys based upon the tickets you could have purchased that day. KeyGo will then charge the most appropriate ticket(s) for the journeys you made that day against your nominated payment card.
If you hold a Season ticket on your Key Smartcard, keyGo will only charge you for the journeys you make beyond the Season ticket's validity.
Check the KeyGo Network map to see where you can go!
Setting up KeyGo
- Once you have a Key Smartcard, you can add KeyGo through your online account
- Your KeyGo account will be associated with a credit or debit card for automatic payment to be taken via a Continuous Payment Authority
- Two hours after signing up to KeyGo, you can start your first journey by touching the card reader at your chosen station
- You can top up your KeyGo balance with extra credit at local retailers with Payzone
What fares are charged?
The best day fare offer is based on tickets that can be bought on the day of travel. Fares are based on paper equivalent tickets defined as Peak, Off-Peak Day and Super Off-Peak Day single and Day return routed 'Any Permitted', 'Southern only', 'Thameslink only' and Oyster fares for journeys made wholly within the London zones.
Where journeys occur within the London zones, journeys will be Price Matched with the equivalent Oyster fare, Travelcard price for journeys, or National Rail fare, whichever is cheapest. This includes daily capped fares.
Journeys made on Gatwick Express and services between Merstham and Gatwick Airport will be charged the National Rail fare.
Use keyGo on Gatwick Express, Great Northern, Southern and Thameslink services as shown on the KeyGo map. Touch in and out on the card reader as you travel to ensure your journeys are calculated correctly.
KeyGo can also be used on Great Western services between Redhill and Dorking Deepdene and between Warblington and Brighton.
Use KeyGo on Metrobus and Brighton and Hove bus company services in these zones:
- Brighton, Hove, Falmer, Shoreham and Southwick
- Burgess Hill
- Crawley, Gatwick Airport, Horley, Ifield and Three Bridges
- Haywards Heath
- Horsham and Littlehaven
- Redhill and Reigate
Find out more about using The Key on buses at:
Payzone with KeyGo
To top up at a Payzone location, you must first have KeyGo activated on your Key Smartcard. You must still have a valid payment card linked to your KeyGo account even if you use Payzone to top up. Visit the Payzone website to find your nearest Payzone retailer.